Mindful Communication Foundations
- Learn core tools for effective dialogue
- Reduce stress and conflict
- Strengthen resilience and empathy
- Grow in self-understanding
this course is currently full.
Communication sits at the center of our lives – personally, socially, and professionally. This six-week course offers in-depth training in the foundations of an integrated approach to communication.
Drawing upon the modern disciplines of Nonviolent Communication, trauma healing, and mindfulness meditation, the curriculum offers concrete tools to hold one’s own while still hearing others, and to engage effectively and efficiently in collaboration.
Through a combination of mindfulness practices, guided reflections and interactive exercises, participants will develop a stronger sense of presence, greater access to compassion and more versatile, clearer communication. This six-week series is appropriate for both experienced and newer students. The tools offered will directly enhance the work of psychologists, therapists, school teachers, chaplains, nurses and other helping professionals. CEs are available (details below).
"The combination of mindfulness and communication skills in this class has dramatically shifted how I engage in conversation. It's had an enormous impact on my life, both personally and professionally."
— Dr. Patricia L. Huertas, MD.
“Oren is a master teacher and facilitator. This class will teach you how to manage conflict, embody empathy, and connect with what really matters in every situation.”
— Joshua Berkowitz, Mindfulness Instructor
Each 3-hour Class Includes:
- Didactic lecture on a key aspect of interpersonal communication
- Instruction in mindfulness practice
- Personalized coaching in small groups
- Exercises and role plays with a partner
- Guided reflections on cognitive, emotional and somatic aspects of communication
What Else You Receive:
- Expert training in communication, empathy and resilience
- Unique lessons and activities, designed to transform habits step-by-step
- Written lecture notes, worksheets and supplementary materials
- Weekly communication practice suggestions
- Weekly meeting or call with a practice partner (optional)
- Life-time access to recordings and class materials
No prior experience is necessary. We strongly recommend some familiarity with mindfulness practice, any NVC workshop, and/or reading Marshall Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication.
Dates: Mondays, January 15 - February 19, 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Location: Sacred Streams, 2149 Byron St., Berkeley 94702
Cost: Sliding Scale $350 - $575
Want to take this class in San Francisco? Click here for Thursday nights in SF.
"This training has been extremely valuable in both my professional and personal interactions... I can't recommend this course enough."
— Dr. Michael Aanavi, PhD, LAc
“This class has brought me closer to my family and friends than any other life event. I see the world as a more beautiful place now.”
— Laura W., Middle School Teacher, Oakland, CA.
Continuing Education Information:
Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the practices and perspectives offered during this training when working with clients, patients and coworkers. Mindful Communication enhances the quality of relationships and improves the ease and efficiency of information flow in a clinical setting. The skills of this workshop are designed to: develop a supportive environment for patients and clients by strengthening empathy and emotional attunement; improve rapport and reduce clinical errors by refining the clarity of information expressed and received; and reduce interpersonal conflict, workplace stress and burnout with resiliency training.
This course is eligible for 18 Continuing Education (CE) credits for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses and chaplains. To qualify to receive the certificate of completion, participants must pay an additional fee and attend all six classes in full. Continuing Education credit is sponsored by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC):
- The SCRC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists and maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California.
- For questions, visit www.spiritualcompetency.com or contact David Lukoff, PhD at CE@spiritualcompetency.com.
“Take this class. It will provide you with tools to break patterns and communicate in a way that will enhance all of your relationships.” — Participant
“Oren has a deep experience and understanding of NVC with the flexibility to apply it to each person practice. I’ve been impressed to notice how he meets each student where they are and finds the heart of the situation.” — Nancy, Horticulturalist, Berkeley CA
“Oren is well-organized… and leads the class in a way that is useful for people of all ages and different skill sets. I truly believe that this class could have saved most of my past relationships. [Since taking it]… I am opening the door to creating the level of connection and communication I have sought my whole life. ” — Liz Walton, Yoga Instructor
“I deeply appreciate the depth of insight, clarity, honesty and compassion that I experienced in this class. The integration with meditation and embodiment helped me connect to the NVC practice at a depth that I hadn’t experienced before.” — Helen Kwon, Development Coordinator
“After this workshop I feel a greater sense of trust and connection with myself and others. I feel like I know better how to approach the world with my full self.” — Patrick S., Marriage and Family Therapist